Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Why I've Dropped My Support for Hillary Clinton

After really passionately supporting Hillary Clinton as my candidate for President almost since she began her candidacy, it is with great disappointment that I have to announce that I cannot support her to that extent anymore.

(Not that my thoughts make much of a difference, I suppose I'm just announcing this personally exceptional moment to myself on my blog, maybe facebook.)

One recent event in particular prompted this change: her recent appeal to President Bush to boycott the Olympics in Beijing. The issue of China's human rights record is a separate topic, but one that is important enough to require a brief mention concerning this post. I've read many reactions to the protests in London and Paris, most of which are supportive of the protesters. I'll write another post about this issue after the Olympic flame tours my favorite city tomorrow. Save to say, I support their right to protest, on the other hand I believe they have taken their protests too far. It is one thing to make a statement and practice civil disobedience, it is another to be disruptive to the extent that one will attack people in wheelchairs in order to make a statement. These issues need to be aired out, and I'll do my best to write about this important issue tomorrow.

But for now, I think Clinton's calls to boycott the Opening Ceremonies are indicative of exactly the opposite of what I hoped for in a Presidential candidate. Objectively speaking, her protests will do nothing to convince President Bush to boycott the Olympics. Her appeal to President Bush does nothing more than appeal for political points among certain groups. In fact, her appeal does her more harm than good. She has demonstrated, by this one act, how little she really understands China as a country, while at the same time arguing for her foreign policy credentials; and has demonstrated how much she's willing to turn a peaceful international event into a forum for politics in a way that really demeans what the ancient tradition of the Olympics stands for, in my mind.

I may be wrong about what I believe the Olympics stands for, but as I understood it, it was an event to help heal international rifts and act as a peaceful, friendly forum for athletic competition. To me, the Olympics overall indicates that there are things, such as celebrating such ideals, that are more meaningful to us as a human society than rivalries. I think people kid themselves when they think that people are solely motivated by China's dismal human rights record. Let's face it, China does have a dismal human rights record. But let's also face it: What good does poking the eye of a giant do to help it better sympathize with human rights?

People with other motives too are interested in increasing rifts between America and China.

Also, I think people (particularly those who have only paid attention to issues concerning China in depth for only a few days or weeks at most) need to wake up to the twin realities of: 1) China overall, not just the Chinese government, are really excited about hosting the Olympics. It is ingrained in our culture that being hosts are a great responsibility. To not be great hosts is to lose a lot of face. For an entire international community to put politics in play where politics never really was an intention of the Olympics, except the transcendence of politics, would be an insult to the entire Chinese nation. The Chinese people already have a reason to be biased against us in the West, the Western media sometimes really does seem to report Chinese issues from a one-sided vantage point. That's not a wrong in of itself, but the Western media as an important democratic institution should not be intentionally or inadvertently giving biased reports against an entire country. And 2), let's face it, China has a really thin skin in terms of criticism. What does Clinton's appeal to boycott the Olympics really do then, if it doesn't convince President Bush to boycott? It insults the Chinese government and the Chinese people, and it doesn't accomplish much else. In the event that Clinton becomes President now, she has only more distance to cover before being able to repair relations with the Chinese. What kind of foreign policy advice is she getting? That she's willing to risk so much, for no gain, except maybe political points, is cause for my disappointment and despair that I have lost the candidate that I have hoped for. There are much better ways, in terms of impact and less divisiveness, to work out international disagreements. Forcefully bringing them into the Olympics is not one of them.

Let's make it clear: Civil disobedience and protests are great. Attacking people in wheelchairs is not. If one is a politician running for an office where one should know better (for many reasons), turning an athletic competition into an official political bashing opportunity reflects poor judgment, bad advice, and maybe both.

For these reasons, and a few others, I am renouncing my support for any Democratic nominee for the duration of this year's primary. Good luck to both candidates.

4 comments:

Lewis Leong said...

It's hard for Hillary or any candidate because they're in a clusterfuck of sorts. If she doesn't try to boycott the Olympics in China, then she risks losing the votes of people who think she's being complacent to the inhumane treatment of Tibetans. If she does protest, then she risks threatening the USA's foreign relations with China, whom we need for a lot of reasons.

Of course boycotting the Olympics will have a further reaching and more devastating effect than losing a few votes but as of this moment, she's trying to win the candidacy. It's a little near signed to do so because now she's just being like any other politician, thinking of the office before other things. This is why a massive number of people find Obama a refreshing candidate.

Anonymous said...

My two cents: it's a complex issue, for sure. The way that I see it, China is viewing this as its big opportunity to show off to the world. Boycotting the opening ceremony is simply symbolic, and the purpose as I see it is to embarrass Chinese officials more than anything. I think a little dose of embarrassment could do a lot of good, and you can hardly call this "political bashing." Clinton has made it clear that she in no way supports a boycott by the athletes - a politician's absence from a ceremony and a boycott on behalf of the athletes are two very different moves.

I see nothing wrong with Bush not being there. You say that the Olympics is more about peace, friendship, etc. than politics but as one article put it, then why are all of these state leaders expected to attend in the first place? You also say that Hilary's urgings show a lack of knowledge about China and foreign relations, but other prominent leaders such as Brown, Merkel and Sarkozy have already stated that they are thinking about skipping the ceremony. So either they're all naive and doing damage to sino-western relations, or there is a trend worth looking into.

I agree that this is a huge point of pride for the Chinese people, but do you really think they will be "insulted" if Bush doesn't show up?! I don't think he would be missed by many. Whether or not the Olympics should carry a political undertone, I don't really know. But now that I think about it, what message would that send to China if everyone just praised it for doing such a good job with the Olympics and let it have its 15 minutes of fame? That, in my opinion, would be embarrassing.

And finally, with all that is going on with the US (Iraq, social security, education, immmigration, you name it!!) you base your vote on this?!

P.S. not meant to sound harsh, just like to debate :-)

Jason said...

great points!

lewis: i think you're right, which is why i was personally really disappointed yesterday. I don't think her calling for a boycott by President Bush really does anything- ultimately President Bush is not going to listen to her on this issue, so what motive, then, is left? It seems that it is political posturing for little gain and much risk is one of the last things I hoped to see in a candidate that I thought for all her life has worked for noble causes.

Sarah, I think you bring up great points and I hope to address them once I finish all my classes for the day. I appreciate your comments.

annliang said...

Politics work very differently in different countries with different cultures and the Chinese may take Bush's absence in a very different way than we expect. It could do a lot of harm.

I just came back from a week-long conference on multi-nationals and problems CEOs, companies, and governments often encounter while working/interacting with people of different cultures. It seems that westerners often expect others to respond to situations the way we respond to them and don't really consider or recognize just how differently people in other cultures may think and see things.
Effective communication, misunderstandings, and management among multi-national companies are such serious problems today (which is why its such an awesome money-making field for the consultants I met). But yeah, I think Jason has a good point when he brings out the importance of 'saving face' to the Chinese and boycotting the Olympics is not just embarrassing to the chinese, it's actually very disrespectful and offensive. Respect is super super important for the Chinese. Even if we may not agree with their policies, we still need to show some respect. There are much more effective ways to address the human rights issues than being disrespectful to a billion people.

"But let's also face it: What good does poking the eye of a giant do to help it better sympathize with human rights?"

well said Jason.
There is an old, though well known chinese proverb that goes something like "to advance is to retreat" and we can't assume that the Chinese will be equally responsive to traditional western acts of protest and politics. I think the western community either has little knowledge of how to effectively communicate and interact with China or they just don't really care and have other motives for attacking the country.