Sunday, May 04, 2008

My First Class


Well, today was the final day of class for AP US Government at MIT. I've been super busy trying to get all my paperwork, finals, presentations, applications, and sanity in order, I didn't really have time to think about preparing myself for this moment.

It hit me as soon as I told the class I had to leave a little early to submit an important application for a potential production of The Laramie Project; which I hope to direct this fall on the tenth anniversary of Matthew's death. My departure felt sudden, but the class leapt to wish me goodbye. Christina and I are hoping on hosting a final get together here at Harvard next week, but we may not see many of these students for a long, long time to come.

I was waiting desolately at the bus stop for the bus to arrive to make my appointment, and I started to tear up a little bit. I remembered each of their faces from the first day of class, and since then, I've gotten to know all of them really well. I've met their families, hosted some of their visits to Harvard, talked with them about life and politics and art, and overall had a really good time this year. Sunday afternoons, from 1:30 to 5:00 became something that I really looked forward to every week, and perhaps was one of the highlights of my week.

Well, I can't describe how sad I feel to be letting go of my dear friends who I won't be able to see on a regular basis anymore and chat with. It's heartening to think about how they're all growing up and will go to college soon, and then get jobs, and run their own lives. I feel so old when I think along these lines, but in reality I know I'm growing up along with them. I hope we keep in touch, I'd be really depressed if no one from my first class contacted me again. I've learned so much from my students, more than I can ever teach them.

I sincerely recommend teaching to everyone who can, at least for a year or two. My paths have crossed with a small group of wonderful people, and I know that from now on, our paths will continue on through life's travails, together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason said...

post was deleted because it contained a suspicious spam link

Unknown said...

This is really lovely. I teach also and you've captured so candidly that closeness and magic that can happen--that thing that keeps me in the classroom despite some drawbacks. It's really a privilege to teach, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Thanks for your notes on my blog. I will submit something to Kartika very soon for your consideration.